Each February, ISFIS partners with Piper Sandler and Iowa's Area Education Agencies to provide face-to-face budget workshops for business managers and superintendents. These hands-on workshops provide the opportunity for leaders from each district to prepare their individual budgets in just one highly productive day. Each budget workshop will be held at an Iowa AEA, with most running from 9 am to 1 pm, and includes time for districts who would like to learn more about how to complete their 5-Year Financial Projection. All workshop attendees will be required to bring their own computer. More information regarding documents and forms to bring, along with information on the extreme weather plan, will be emailed out to attendees approximately one week before each meeting.
Last year, extreme weather forced the AEAs to close for a number of the workshops and as a result the meetings were rescheduled or cancelled. This year, we are implementing an "Extreme Weather Plan". In the event the AEA location is delayed due to extreme weather, we will follow suit and begin the meeting on a delayed schedule as well. If the AEA is closed, we will instead hold a virtual workshop the same date beginning an hour and half later than the originally scheduled start time. More information on the extreme weather plan will be circulated with your meeting confirmation approximately one week before each meeting.
2020 Workshop Dates, Locations, Times & Registration
15 budget workshop at 14 locations! Budget workshops cost $250 per district per workshop (whether in person or virtual), but please sign up each person individually to ensure we have adequate space for everyone in the rooms.
- Jan. 29 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Heartland AEA in Johnston
- Feb. 03 @ 1 pm to 5 pm - Prairie Lakes AEA in Ft. Dodge (note different time)
- Feb. 04 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Northwest AEA in Le Mars
- Feb. 05 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Northwest AEA in Le Mars
- Feb. 07 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Green Hills AEA in Creston
- Feb. 10 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Great Prairie AEA in Albia
- Feb. 12 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Great Prairie AEA in Burlington
- Feb. 20 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Grant Wood AEA in Coralville
- Feb. 21 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Grant Wood AEA in Cedar Rapids
- Feb. 24 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Central Rivers AEA in Clear Lake
- Feb. 25 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Central Rivers AEA in Cedar Falls
- Feb. 26 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Mississippi Bend AEA in Bettendorf
- Feb. 27 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Keystone AEA in Elkader
- Mar. 03 @ 9 am to 1 pm - Prairie Lakes AEA in Spencer
- Mar. 04 @ 1 pm to 5 pm - Green Hills AEA in Red Oak - NOTE CHANGE - This meeting was originally scheduled for AM in Council Bluffs. This change allows attendance in conjunction with the AEA Supts meeting that morning in Red Oak.
Items Needed for Meetings
- Department of Management 2019-2020 final Aid & Levy printout from John Parker dated approximately June 2019.
- Copy of the 2019-2020 Certification of Taxes from the Department of Management (mailed with the Department of Management's final Aid & Levy printout).
- Dropout Prevention modified supplemental amount for FY 2021, Special Education deficit letter or other School Budget Review Committee approvals during the 2019-2020 budget year.
- Previous years budget forms from 2018-2019 school year which were completed and certified in April 2019
- Any Debt Schedules (Bonds & Interest) and Loan Agreement Schedules - include PPEL loans.
- 2018-19 CAR Budget Crosswalk Report and Balance Sheet. You will need this report to complete the Worksheet 1 and 2. Please have a draft of the Worksheet 1 and 2 as complete as possible. Don't worry about State Aid and Property Tax numbers, those will populate automatically.
- Please bring your district ID and password in case you need to access the CAR.
The 2020 Budget Workshops have now concluded. Please let us know if you have any suggestions or feedback for us to incorporate into the 2021 Workshops!